Monday, November 30, 2009

The Music Bug


10 years ago, I was married, working a day job, and practicing about three times a week in a band that I had joined. I had always written music and had once written music with my wife, who now was wanting to settle down and just live the ordinary. I still had the need for music, because music has been the only thing that has ever moved me so, that I have never grown tired of it. You know when you're a kid, and you have hobbies, well, mine were wrestling, you know, WWF (now WWE), G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Collecting Baseball Cards, Collecting Comic Books, etc. Well, all of those things faded, but ever since I was a little boy, music has been something that has never let go. I remember my parents had an 8-track player, which is like the grandfather to a C.D., and the only 8-tracks I remember having were, The Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, and The Annie Soundtrack. Not a great selection, however, one of the first memories of music I have is jumping on the bed at about age 8, (which seems like a million years ago) to The Bee Gees, Tragedy. So, whenever my Mom took me to church and sat in the front row, I was so excited to stand for praise service and watch the drummer do what he did. Then I would go home and listen to the radio all day, just waiting to hear that one song that hit me, like Stand by R.E.M., or Goin' Back to Cali by L.L. Cool J. Its weird looking back thinking about the music that shapes us, well me anyway. In my teenage years, after watching the drummer and going home and literally playing drumsticks on a practice pad, and never having a drumset, I learned how to play the drums. Then one day it happened.....I was 14 or 15, and I went to MidWeek service. The drummer, who also worked as a contractor during the day, had dropped a chainsaw on his leg, and couldn't play drums. Someone had told my Youth Pastor that they thought I could fill in. So, that moment, where I stepped in because of an accident was no accident at all. I played with all my heart and didn't play great at all, but I felt the tug of music. After playing drums for awhile, and being teased by my Youth Church Bandmates that I didn't have to memorize any notes, therefore I wasn't a real musician, I looked for an instrument to play that was more melodic, and less rhythmic. I will continue this personal history rant at a later time with the next few years and how my life has moved forward, never letting go of this thing called, The Music Bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment