Monday, March 7, 2011

Gnomeo and Juliet Movie Review

I went to see this with my friends' kids and it was a fun movie. I must tell you first that i've always had a bit of an obsession with gnomes, for some reason, whenever I see them, they always make me smile. Most of my friends who hear that think i'm weird, and most of them think that gnomes are going to come to life and kill you in your sleep. Nothing could be further from the truth, believe me. Anyway, I digress.....you would think because of this obsession of mine, I would automatically love the movie whether it was good or bad....not true. I watched this movie like I watch every other movie, with a critical eye, but still trying to enjoy it if its good. So, Gnomeo and Juliet was funny, it had a good story, and was cute in the tradition of "A Bug's Life" or Toy Story, but wasn't quite as good as those two. It had its moments though, like when Hulk Hogan narrated a lawnmower commercial, the gnomes race lawn mowers, so they needed a super mower to win the race, thus Hulk Hogan would narrate such a mower. Also, there was a bit of poking fun at Shakespeare's writing style, which I thought was funny. Some other highlights were a funny flamingo, a ninja scene, a reference to Disneyland's Tiki Tiki Room, and some funny pokes at the inanimacy of gnomes. But overall I would give the movie a strong B or 3 out of 5 stars. I would definitely suggest a matinee showing price for this one. The kids loved it and your kids will love it. For the record, I still have an obsession with gnomes, and collect them. :) You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment